Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Taverns: I, II, and South

We celebrated my father's birthday last night at the Tavern in West Des Moines. There are three Tavern's which are located in Valley Junction, the south side, and West Des Moines. We ate at the one on 50th Street between University and Westown Pkwy. This restaurant is part of Des Moines history. It was founded in the Great Depression, transferred owners just a few times, and is still serving authentic Italian today.  This isn't our first (or second or even third) visit to this pizza place.  We've been enjoying the crispy crust for years now! 

Tavern's crispy crust pizza
has been popular for years! 
I LOVE thin crust pizza. So much so that I skipped my normal Paleo-ish lifestyle to eat a cheese & tomato thin-crust pizza. It was delicious! I took advantage of the Daily Special which was a 7" pizza, salad, and drink for $8.95. This worked well for me since I'm the only one that loves tomato pizza. My husband and boys shared a large sausage and they devoured that one very quickly. They do have a kid's menu but our boys just ate the regular pizza. 

There was a group of 12 of us and we were sat quickly at a long table. The kids had a fun placemat to work on while the grown-ups had salads before the meal. We also checked out the assortments of gelato "ice cream" before we left but didn't order any. We were too full and decided that would be a "must" on our next trip. They also have sandwiches, pasta, burgers, and more if you aren't in the pizza mood. 

The Tavern II in West Des Moines has a large party room too! Be sure to add The Tavern, The Tavern II, and Tavern South to your next must-try pizza places! 

No comments:

Post a Comment