Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Olson's Bread & Breakfast

My friend Lisa knows how much I love breakfast, so she recommended that I try Olson's Bread & Breakfast in Norwalk on Sunset Drive.  I'm not sure how I let this gem go under the radar for so long!  The restaurant is small, but the service was quick and the waitress was your typical diner waitress, teasing you about finishing your gigantic meal, but being super attentive and friendly. And when I say gigantic, I mean it! These were some of the biggest diner portions I've seen around Des Moines.


We all enjoyed our meals.  I really liked the egg/potato scramble that I got, I'm not a huge fan of onions and peppers, but didn't mind them in this dish as they were fresh, finely minced and well-done.  Josh ordered the corned beef hash and while it wasn't the "canned, mushy stuff" he's accustomed to that tastes so good when crispy on the outside with a salty inside, the chunks of quality corned beef were tasty enough that he ate the whole thing!  Every meal came out piping hot and you could tell that everything was from scratch.  Even the homemade bread for toast was fresh and it was fantastic.


I've added Olson's Bread & Breakfast to my permanent breakfast rotation.  They are open for breakfast and lunch Tuesday thru Sunday from 6am to 2pm.  We didn't get a chance to sample lunch, but a diner at the table next to us got a cheeseburger and said it was fantastic.  He ordered it with a fried egg and the well-seasoned beef along with the runny yoke was a heavenly combination he said.


Prices were reasonable at about $7-8 per meal and well worth it for the portion sizes and great food.   Next time you have a hankering for diner food, give Olson's a try!  Just a short drive from Des Moines or West Des Moines.  You'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment