Monday, July 1, 2013

Trostel's Greenbriar

Funny story...It's 2005, I had just moved to Iowa from Massachusetts weeks before and it's my birthday. It's July and my boyfriend makes a reservation at Trostel's Greenbriar in Johnston for my birthday dinner.  Dinner was lovely and it was almost time to order dessert (hey, it was my birthday), but I had to pee.  I told Josh that if the server came by to order me a slice of cheesecake.  I got back to the table and sitting in front of me was a huge piece of tiramisu....TIRAMISU?! I wanted cheesecake!  That lousy S-O-B! He doesn't even pay attention to what I want!  Well, after a few choice words and the silent treatment, I decided the wrong dessert was better than no dessert and looked down in my tiramisu to find this...

If it's hard to read, it says "Marry Me".  Sorry, my camera in 2005 may have been one of the first ever invented. So after feeling bad for a few minutes that I was so mean and had a temper tantrum about Josh's dessert choice for me, I got over it and said "yes".  

So thank you Chef Troy Trostel and the beautiful Greenbriar restaurant for hosting my engagement meal and for the lovely dinners we've had here ever since.

For example, we attended the Templeton Rye dinner in June and loved every course from the tuna to the best lamp chops we've ever had that were roasted in a Templeton Rye Whiskey barrel with herb roasted potatoes.

Monday nights boast Burgers & Brew for $10 that includes a burger with salad or fries and a beer.

You can't go wrong with anything on the menu, although I love the prime rib and anything eaten on the beautiful patio seems to taste that much better with one of their great cocktails.

The restaurant is casual enough for a family lunch or dinner.  But nice enough for a business lunch or even a lovely dinner to get engaged over!  

If the Templeton Rye dishes look good to you, you can find some of the Templeton Rye inspired dishes on their every day menu as well, like Templeton Rye marinated grilled Elk.  

Of course we love Greenbriar for sentimental reasons, but we think you'll like it too.  Check it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment