Friday, September 27, 2013

China Cafe

Upon recommendation from a friend, I headed to Johnston to check out China Cafe.  China Cafe is definitely a favorite for lunch in the Merle Hay area since it filled up quickly.  The friendly staff was very efficient though and meals came out very fast.  

When I first perused the expansive menu I was nervous that this was going to be just another so-so Chinese place when I saw that meals were only about $5 and included soup, a spring roll, entree and rice.  But much to my delight it wasn't so-so at all.

The hot and sour soup was tasty and not overly-salty.  I requested an order of crab rangoon and was asked if I would like a half order since I was alone which was lovely since I didn't need 6, and I didn't know you could get half-orders.  I was super impressed that upon receiving two crab rangoon, my server informed me that another was being cooked for me since one of my three fell on the floor in the back.  How honest!  I wonder how many restaurants would have just wiped it off, plopped it back on the plate and called it good.  Especially where they were so busy and they were freshly cooked.  They were some of the best crab rangoon I've had in Des Moines to boot.  Sweet and creamy and fresh out of the fryer.  Perfect.


For my entree, I ordered the cashew chicken.  I was shocked to see that all of the veggies were fresh.  With the one exception that I would have liked to see all white meat chicken, this was a fantastic meal.  And my total bill with a diet coke...$8. I'm impressed.  Check out China Cafe if you get a chance.  I give it an "A" for value, quality and service.  

Two people just this week have suggested I try China Cafe (not knowing I was already there last week) =)  They say it's just as good for dinner or take-out.  Check it out!





2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, if you decide to visit China Cafe again, you can request for any chicken dish to be all white meat at (to my knowledge) no additional charge!

    ReplyDelete