Monday, September 2, 2013

Chips

I had a really great lunch at Chips restaurant in Ankeny the other day.  It's on SE Tones drive and you can't miss it if you're traveling up 35n.

Up until just last month Chips was one of the Trostel's trio of restaurants and is under new management.  I was a little weary because I've always relied on a Trostel's restaurant to be good, so I didn't know what to expect now that it's changed hands.

They were doing quite a bit of renovations on the outside and front entrance of the building which is great because it's starting to show it's wear a bit and I can't fault them for a little less than stellar appearance when they are making improvements.  The restaurant was clean and causal as usual.  It was the lunch hour so it was busy, but we were seated right away and greeted promptly.  In no time we were chomping on our yummy free chips.  I prefer them slightly hotter, but they were crunchy and salty and hit the spot with a cold diet pepsi.

They had a great lunch menu that included soup, salad, sandwich, pizza or pasta combos plus their signature rotisserie chicken dinners and more.



I ordered the soup, salad and sandwich combo which was a steal at $8.  The best part my my meal was the chicken and white bean chili that was chock full of their pulled rotisserie chicken.  It was probably the best chicken and white bean chili I've ever had in a restaurant.  Ever.  I was craving more at dinner time.  The chicken salad (which I got sans croissant) was especially delicious too.  Fresh pieces of diced red and green pepper mixed in with a rich, but not over-bearing mayo and more of their awesome rotisserie chicken.  I was very impressed with both preparation of the chicken.

They have a great selection on the kids menu even though my son opted for an early lunch before we came.  He opted for a hot chocolate to drink which I wouldn't have ordered had I known that the 6 ounce cup of water with powdered chocolate would run $4.25! Heck that was more than half of what my entree cost! That was the most disappointing part of the meal.  But, the rest of the meal certainly made up for the disappointment.

I'll certainly be back for more of the chicken chili and chips soon!  Can't wait to see it in a few weeks when the renovations are complete!






No comments:

Post a Comment