Monday, May 6, 2013

Cool Basil for Hot Thai food!


I have been totally impressed with the Thai restaurants in the area.  Cafe Fuzion and King & I are usually my go-to places.   I had gone to Cool Basil a few times in the past and Cafe Fuzion's Pad See Ew and King & I's Yellow Chicken Curry seemed to win out for a while.

BUT, my friend Staci suggested Cool Basil in West Des Moines for a girl's night out last week and I'm so glad that she did!  Best Pad Thai in town hands down.  Not overly greasy and not too heavy on the fish sauce like some other places in the area tend to make it.  I found myself craving it again the next day.  I resisted <sigh>...

We started out with the appetizer sampler and it was good.  Heavy on the fried items, but good if that's what you're going for.  I would have liked to see fresh Summer Rolls (rice paper w/rice noodles and veggies) like at King & I, but the sauces that came with were tasty as well.

I really liked the choices on the kids menu.  If your kid isn't ultra-picky, there are some great, affordable choices.


The restaurant has a cozy feel that makes for a great place for a date-night, friends-night or family dinner.  

I also appreciated some of the unique menu items like Pumpkin Curry and Basil Scallops.  Can't wait to try those!

As the sign points out, they have a sushi happy-hour on Monday and Tuesday evenings too.  The service is friendly and appropriately paced for a busy restaurant.  

I was super impressed with this visit and will certainly be back to try some more dishes.  This is one of the more popular Asian restaurants in town for a reason!  Good job Cool Basil!



.


2 comments:

  1. Cool Basil and Thai Flavors (E 14th by Cafe Fuzion) were owned by the same people and had similar, if not identical, menus last I knew. We always order the "Healthy Rolls" at those two places which sound like what you're describing -- the non-fried appetizer rolls. I love the Tom Ka Kai soup, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret! I'm up for giving Thai Flavors another shot. We have had two consecutive no-so-great experiences there in the past, but it's been a while and It's on my to-try list again =)

    ReplyDelete