Saturday, May 11, 2013

Now or Later...Don't wait til later though...

Yes...Now or Later...that's the name of the restaurant.  I think I remember hearing a while back that the place where the restaurant is located used to be a gas station where the owner used to steal Now & Laters when he was a little kid (you know, the fruity candies), so when he opened the restaurant he called it Now or Later...I could be completely making that up though, so don't quote me on that.

Anyway, Now or Later is one of the hidden gems in Des Moines for sure.  Think American favorites, steak, chicken, seafood, pastas. etc.

We were on our way back from Pella the other day, and since Now or Later is located pretty close to the State Fair Grounds in East Des Moines, we had to stop in for Lunch.

My friend was weary when we went inside since there was an odd odor and our first waitress wasn't very friendly.  I said first waitress because after retrieving our drinks and giving us some dirty looks, the second, nicest, friendliest waitress on earth appeared to take care of us for the rest of the meal.  I guess we scared her off?!

My friend Carye ordered the ravioli casserole which she said was really good and I ordered the Tuscan chicken which was no less than amazing.  Juicy grilled chicken topped with a garlicky sauce with diced tomatoes and a hint of cheese over rice.  Carye had a bite and said she was coming back tomorrow just to order my chicken dish!  The broccoli-cheese soup was also one of the best I'd ever had.  Big chucks of broccoli and real cheese, yum.

The kids had chicken strips and fries and seemed content.  Except for the fact that it was obvious our first waitress wasn't into kids, the restaurant is family-friendly. They don't have a kids menu but will give you a kids portion of just about anything on the menu including steak.

Prices are reasonable at 7 to 11 dollars for main entrées and well worth it.  If you are looking for a locally-owned, change of pace from your usual restaurants, check out Now or Later.  Not far off of 235 and worth the drive.  You may not believe me until you taste the food, but, that's what it's all about right!?







No comments:

Post a Comment