Monday, August 5, 2013

Fresh Cafe & Market

You might never know this awesome little cafe existed if you weren't looking specifically for it.  Fresh Cafe & Market shares a building with offices and a dance studio on 25th street in West Des Moines.  It's close to the Clocktower Square Shopping center off of University.

While the outside is unassuming, the shop is bright and colorful when you walk in the main entry and it's easy to spot on the first floor of the building.

Fresh Cafe has a plethora of fresh juices and smoothies, raw food items and vegan items.  Grilled summer paninis, raw lasagna, raw vegan tacos, gluten-free pasta primavera were just a few of the selections.

I went with the raw lasagna on my first visit.  I was shocked by how flavorful the lasagna was. The "pasta" was zucchini slices, the "ricotta" was a cashew blend and fresh tomatoes and raw marinara gave it a burst of flavor between the layers of zucchini.  It was topped with a walnut "sausage". I would definitely order this again.  I washed it down with a wheat grass lemonade which had quite the earthy flavor which was drinkable, but I had to remind myself that it was good for me to be able to finish the last few sips.

I noticed they had some vegan cupcakes and brownies available too.

What a great place to explore some healthy meal options without having to try these recipes on your own.  The prices are reasonable and the menu items range enough that you can test the waters without diving right into totally raw on your first meal.  But try it, because you might just like it!





No comments:

Post a Comment