Sunday, March 17, 2013

Donut King, you know, next to Burger King

I used to drive down Grand ave. in West Des Moines and wonder what the "Donut King" (next to the Burger King) was.  The outside isn't the most inviting and it's only open in the mornings.  And as you may or may not know, I have a Dunkin Donuts addiction so I never actually got around to stopping in.  

One day a friend told me the Donut King "cake-style" donuts were better than Dunks!  I was in disbelief and had to try for myself.  I have to say the sour cream cake donut was really good and the blueberry cake donuts were awesome.  The donuts are small but moist and tasty.  Not overly sugary like Krispy Kreme.  Just right actually.

While Donut King offers coffee, lattes and hot cocoa, if you are going for a specialty drink, you won't find it here.  They don't offer any fancy breakfast sandwiches or anything other than donuts and pastries, but I have to admit they are really good.  

There isn't much eating space in the shop, and the seats that are there are usually occupied mostly by "the regulars". If you are in the mood for a good, cheap donut and maybe a different experience then you're used to, stop by Donut King.  Make sure you bring cash or check, no cards taken here!  Grab a donut, coffee and a seat at the counter and then let us know what you think!  

1 comment:

  1. We love Lou and his donuts! Make sure you bring cash because he does NOT take cards (debit or credit). Best donuts around!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete