Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I want the Proof, and nothing but the Proof.


Yup, I can be a total dope sometimes.  A friend tipped me off that Proof Restaurant on Locust street in Downtown Des Moines has amazing "Second Saturday" dinners, which are obviously on the second Saturday of each month. I happily made my reservation for the 10 course meal, which you can easily do online here.  So I was shocked when we showed up this Saturday and they didn't have our reservation.  They were very sweet and were trying to do everything they could do figure out why they didn't have the reservation.  Well, they didn't have our reservation because this Saturday was of course the FIRST Saturday of the month.  Darn it!  But, they took pity on us and even though they were booked solid, got us in for dinner.  

We were pleasantly surprised to find that even though the ten course dinner for only $40 per person (a steal) wasn't til next week, they did offer a $30 prix fixe meal that looked amazing, so I got that and didn't feel so terrible about being a duface.  We loved that this hip, simplistic Mediterranean restaurant with exotic food choices had such a young staff.  I would bet not one of the staff was over the age of 35.  We found that really cool because you could tell they weren't afraid to experiment.  Like, perhaps with rosemary or goat cheese sorbet, which we will get to in a minute.
So on to the meal.  We started with a cheese plate of gouda and goat cheese which came with some really tasty pepper crackers and jams.  A nice start to the meal for only $5

My prix fixe meal included the most amazing spiced beef and potato appetizer, almond-topped scallops and a trio of sorbets.  They menu said the trio would include tomato, rosemary and goat cheese sorbet, but when it came out it was rosemary, chocolate and goat cheese.  Yes, sorbets.  The chocolate was great and the rosemary was my favorite. The sweetness really complemented the rosemary. The goat cheese was well....interesting!  I think it was a bit too tangy for me.  But I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort box and tried it.  I think I'll stick to non-frozen goat cheese in the future though.  Josh really liked his sausage sandwich and had a tasty martini to wash it down.

We are really looking forward to trying their second Saturday, 10 course dinner soon and also trying them out for lunch.  They have falafel and other "in the hand" sandwiches and yummy looking salads.  Everything looks fantastic and they get the spices just right.
We have definitely added Proof to our list of favorites.  The small bistro-type atmosphere was really inviting and the food was fantastic.  The restaurant also seats about 10 at the bar.  We liked the drink selections and the service was great.  Not every restaurant would have been so accommodating to a couple who showed up a week early for their reservation!  Give Proof a shot for a date-night, girls-night, lunch or special occasion.  We think you'll be pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment