Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Flying Mango is as sweet as it sounds!

We love that there is a BBQ restaurant with a Caribbean feel right here in Des Moines in the Beavedale area.  This is definitely unique and a spot not to miss.  I got my first taste of The Flying Mango at the Valley Junction farmers market a few years ago. I had a pulled pork sandwich and was immediately addicted the their homemade BBQ sauce.  We've visited the restaurant a few times since and knew I had to share it with you all because a surprising number of you have told me you haven't heard about it!

We called ahead on a Thursday night at 5:30pm and were told to come on in and there wouldn't be a wait.  By the time we left at 7:45pm the place was hopping, so if you're going to dine later in the evening, I would recommend a reservation.

I was feeling like having a drink tonight and went with the sangria.  I was a little disappointed with the size and it wasn't quite as sweet as I like my sangria, but it was good and I appreciated the plethora of fresh fruit in it.  They have a great wine/drink list with lots of exotic choices.

Josh and I were both feeling like BBQ tonight even though the tables on both side of us were raving about the apple/chicken meatloaf special.  It looked great, but ribs were calling my name.  I went with a half rack with a side of grits and a side of sweet potato cake with ginger.  


The ribs were a little tough on one end, but cooked perfectly in the middle.  The homemade BBQ sauce had just a bit of kick and is perfect on the ribs.  The grits were a little bland, but the sweet potato cake was really good.  I would have liked a bit more ginger, but still very tasty.  Josh said his sides of mashed potato and creole chicken were also very good.

Our favorite part of the meal was the white chocolate bread pudding.  Josh usually doesn't like bread pudding, but said he would order it again.  The pureed mango on top went really well with the white chocolate sauce.  

Nathan of course loved the chocolate cake.  The marzipan red chili pepper on top was a great touch.

The owner/operator Michael Wedeking is very passionate and is always mingling through the restaurant (even though he missed our table on this night ;) and genuinely interested in how you are enjoying your meal. 

The Flying Mango is a unique restaurant with friendly staff and great food.  It's casual enough for a family dinner and nice enough for a date-night or special occasion.  It's reasonably priced and you are sure to try and love something new with such a diverse menu.  You are definitely in for a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment