Friday, February 22, 2013

Test the water (or wine) at Louie's Wine Dive

We've been to Louie's Wine Dive on University in Des Moines a few times for dinner and had really good experiences each time.  Nice wine selection with helpful servers ready to give pairing suggestions.  We like the fun atmosphere with lots of menu choices. The owner has been there each time we've visited to mingle with guests and seems to love being around the restaurant and making sure everyone is having a great time.
We love that you can make reservations since a lot of restaurants around town don't take them.  This weekend we decided to give their brunch a shot.   We probably wouldn't take kids for dinner, but there were a lot of families when we went for brunch this weekend.  They offer a kids menu too. We started off with mimosas and they were a really nice size for only $5, they offered an unlimited mimosa option for $11 and they had a bloody-mary bar available as well.

I have to admit that at first glance at the menu I was hoping there would be more options.  But since I know they partner with La Mie bakery, The Cheese Shop and lots of other local producers, I knew whatever I ordered would have a great shot at being good since they start with quality ingredients.  Josh went with the french toast and I tried the corned pork hash.  Josh said the french toast was really good and the fruit on top made it really tasty.  I was super impressed with the corned pork hash.  It was a mix of pork, potatoes and some seasonal veggies mixed into a hash, fried and served with 2 poaches eggs and toast.  I could have eaten more, but I also don't eat toast so I left that, but the meal would have probably filled the normal toast-eating person up.  

 I nabbed a photo of the dessert tray on the way out.  The owner's wife makes all of the dessert and it look pretty awesome.  They have a make-your-own s'mores dessert option which is always a favorite.  On our last visit which was around Christmas, we tried a pumpkin creme brulee which was fantastic.

 Check out Louie's Wine Dive for a fun night out with friends, date-night or a family brunch.  Let us know what you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment